Martin Luther King, Jr Drive, formally known as West River Drive, runs along the Schuylkill river. The drive is apart of Schuylkill River Trail that wraps around to Kelly Drive, the East Falls bridge, and back to Philadelphia's Art Museum. The drive trail is filled with trees, park benches, parking lots, bike paths, and geese!
If you enjoy biking...
- The drive is closed to automobiles on Saturdays and Sundays from 8 am to 5 pm, from April to October. The plus side of the drive is that it's not as crowded as it's counterpart Kelly Drive.
- There are two lanes on the trail that allows bikers and pedestrians to keep out of each other's way.
- The loop between MLK Jr Drive, Kelly Drive, East Falls bridge, and the Art Museum is 8 miles long. The Schuylkill Banks website provides detailed instructions on the path here.
If you would like to experience Schuylkill river...
- On the MLK Jr drive, you can get great views of Boat House row, the East Falls bridge, and the Waterworks area leading up to the Art Museum.
- From my opinion, you can take in the river in a more relaxing setting because there aren't as many people around.
- You can also catch the local college crew races during the spring time.
If you like culture, arts, and design...
- The drive includes up close views of the bridges surrounding the area. You can walk or bike under the Girard bridge, Strawberry Mansion bridge, and go across the Falls bridge (as pictured above).
- The drive is also surrounded by a variety of arts and cultural attractions. Some include:
If you need a location for large gatherings...
- Because the drive is not as crowded as Kelly, there is massive amount of space for large gatherings.
- The drive provides benches along the pathways. It also has a great amount of parking spaces for certain areas of the drive.
You can check out other Yelp reviews here!